What is the CEREC CAD-Cam System?
CEREC is one of the great technological advances in dentistry. The system enables your dentist to design and fabricate a new porcelain crown, veneer, onlay or inlay, using a computer and a milling machine, and cement it in a single visit. The procedure to make a crown used to take two visits about two weeks apart and require several impressions, temporaries, etc...
How does this CEREC Crowns in one day technology work?
Your dentist prepares your tooth the same way,but instead of taking a paste impression of your tooth, a digital image is taken using a special camera. A computer is used to design your new restoration, and the design is sent to a milling machine which fabricates your new high-quality porcelain crown or other restorations while you wait. Your new porcelain crown or restoration will then be cemented on your prepared tooth and the procedure completed in one visit. Your crown in one day!
What are the benefits of CEREC?
- Your crown or onlay is completed in one day.
- Avoids the inconvenience of messy impressions.
- No need for temporaries that may get loose or fall out, and need a recementing appointment.
- No need to take time off for a second appointment.
- No need for additional injections during a second visit.
- More accurate than conventional impressions with paste.
- More esthetic than old porcelain fused to metal crowns.
New High Strength Porcelain Materials
Advances in dental materials research has made available several new materials suitable for tooth colored crowns: A very esthetic material called E-max (lithium disilicate), and zirconium oxide, or zirconia for short. Both materials require baking in an oven at high temperatures, and E-max is well suited for same-day porcelain crowns.
How much does this cost?
Our office provides these esthetic, state of the art porcelain crowns for the same price that other offices charge for older porcelain fused to metal crowns.